ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Since the Foundation was set up by Ivy, Duchess of Portland in 1978, the charity has worked to create spaces where creativity can flourish.
In all our work we celebrate the handmade and encourage an enjoyment of the visual arts. The Dukes of Portland and their families have owned Welbeck since 1607. The 2nd Duchess of Portland married Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Mortimer. The Foundation is named after Edward, who was one of history’s greatest collectors. His book and manuscript collection formed the basis of The British Library (you can still visit The Harleian Collection there today).
The Foundation funds two public gallery spaces, subsidised artist studios, and an education programme.
The Harley Gallery opened in 1994 with funding from the European Regional Development Fund. It shows contemporary exhibitions, with a gallery shop and activity space. It has won numerous awards including the Civic Trust award for Architecture, and Loo of the Year!
The Foundation’s most recent building is a purpose-built museum for the Portland family’s historic art collection. The building was designed by Hugh Broughton Architects and won many architecture awards including RIBA East Midlands Building of the Year 2016.